Paradise Recovering and Rebuilding: Recovery survey available online | Local
PARADISE, Calif. – Action News Now continues to provide the latest updates on recovery and rebuilding in the Town of Paradise.
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Town Council Meeting
When: Tuesday, April 12, 2022, at 6 p.m.
Where: 5555 Skyway, YouTube
2,220 Building Permit Applications Received
2,049 Building Permits issued
1,293 Homes Rebuilt (certificate of occupancy issued)
485 Multi-Family Permit Applications Received
379 Multi-Family Permits Issued
257 Multi-Family Permits Rebuilt (certificate of occupancy issued)
- Paradise Business Spotlight: Every week we will spotlight a business in Paradise to encourage shopping locally and supporting economic recovery in Paradise–and maybe uncover a business you haven’t heard of before. This week, they focus on Ridge Mobile Notary. When a notary public is in need, you want someone friendly and experienced—someone who puts you as their top priority, and who smoothly and expeditiously notarizes your important documents. The process of notarizing a document is relatively straightforward; however, if it’s improperly done, it can set you back in both time and money.
- Camp Fire Debris Removal Insurance Recovery Those who participated in the Government Sponsored Debris Removal Program for the 2018 Camp Fire may have recently received a letter detailing the full cost of cleanup. For those who had insurance at the time of the fire, Butte County’s Camp Fire Insurance Recovery Manager, Tetra Tech, will be working with property owners and insurance companies to help determine how much needs to be paid to the County for the cleanup. For property owners who already received insurance proceeds from their insurer related to the debris removal, Tetra Tech will work with them to identify any out-of-pocket costs incurred by property owners and any payments that may need to be made to the County. Property owners will not be responsible for any costs outside the available insurance coverage from their insurance policy.
- Golden State Fire Apparatus, Inc. is hosting an official 2022 Fire Truck Face-Off Thirty-two fire trucks from the Bay Area, Central and Northern California were randomly chosen to compete in an NCAA-style event. The winner gets $1,000 towards a charity of their choice, a bronze plaque for their truck and bragging rights. Paradise Fire Engine E381 will be participating and all voting will take place on Facebook stories.
- Town of Paradise Leads Regional Evacuation Exercise with Partner Agencies On Wednesday February 23rd, 25 representatives from five local agencies participated in a regional evacuation planning exercise to prepare for future emergencies. Planned and led by the Town of Paradise, representatives from the City of Chico, Butte County, the California Highway Patrol and Caltrans walked through an evacuation scenario in Paradise. The exercise utilized law enforcement and Public Works professionals in virtual and in-person environments. Watch the video here.
- Important Survey for Recovery 3 Years into Recovery The Town of Paradise is updating our Long Term Community Recovery Plan, originally adopted in June 2019, to reflect all the changes and lessons learned in our community. Just like the first plan, we need to hear from our residents. The survey can be taken online to give your thoughts on recovery so far and the vision for the future. In addition to the survey, we will have virtual and in-person meetings in the near future to gather community input on the update to the plan.
- Paradise Little League Opening Day, March 26 Join the fun at the Paradise Little League Opening Day starting at 10 a.m. There will be food, prizes and baseball. Paradise’s own Kylin Crawford will be singing the National Anthem and the first pitch thrown by a very special guest! The event is located at 820 Buschmann Rd.
- Free Green Waste Disposal for Butte County Residents March 27 For Butte County Residents living in the wildland urban interface, there are designated days to dispose of green waste for free. On March 19 and 27, take your green waste to the Neal Road Recycling and Waste Facility in Paradise from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Concerts and Conversation, March 25 Enjoy a free concert by pianist Pierce Kagari Amata. The concert titled “The Fascinating Rhythms of George Gershwin” is being held at the Paradise Performing Arts Center from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Home Buyers Fair, March 26 Enjoy a free BBQ at the Home Buyers Fair on March 26 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The fair is taking place at RRA Builders at 5923 Clark Road Suite A. Check out the manufactured homes ranging from $310,000-$320,000 and the stick-built homes ranging from $400,000-$425,000. Buyers may pick out paint colors and flooring options. There are also resources including free mortgage loan prequalification and information about down payment assistance.
- Paradise Symphony Orchestra Spring Concert, March 27 The Paradise Symphony Orchestra spring concert titled “Czech the Bachs” is on March 27 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Taking place at the Paradise Performing Arts Center, the performance features the Piano virtuoso Melissa Brown performing Bach’s “Concerto in D minor, Movement #1.” Also, Johann Sebastian Bach’s “Brandenburg Concerto #3” will be performed in memory of former Orchestra member Sheila Dixon. Tickets cost $15 for students and seniors 55+, and $20 for adults. Tickets are available online and at the door.
- Paradise Eagles Lodge Grand Opening, March 31 Check out the beautiful, new Paradise Eagles Lodge at the grand opening! The event is from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 31. The facility is located at 9079 Skyway, Paradise.
- Honey Run Covered Bridge Informational Event, April 1 Join the informational event from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on April 1 hosted by Walt Schafer, the president of the Honey Run Covered Bridge Association. Taking place at the Honey Run Covered Bridge, this event will touch on the rebuild progress and the phase 1 highlights including columns, foundation, abutments and slope protection.
- Paradise Piranhas Swim Team Sign-Up, April 1 Whether kids would like to compete or just improve their swimming skills, the summer 2022 team would be a great experience. The season begins in May and goes through July. Registration opens on April 1.
- Kids Easter “Fun” Day, April 16 Bring your family out for an early Easter celebration on April 16. Beginning at 11 a.m., there will be hot dogs, popcorn, cotton candy, horse-rides, and give-aways. This event will be located at the Ridge Lifeline Church at 5445 Clark Rd.
- Paradise Irrigation District Update The district shared some of the milestones it has made over the last three years. The community’s water system faced numerous challenges as a result of the fire, including the destruction of the district’s previous water metering system, water quality issues within service laterals to properties and a drastic decrease in the number of active customers. The district is moving forward and still providing clean, safe water to the community. Current status:
- Total customers: 8,784
- Active customers: 4,092
- Properties with cleared water: 4,181
- Funding Options for those rebuilding after the Camp Fire Grants Up to $200,000 Available for those Rebuilding after the Camp Fire The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) recently announced the Disaster Housing Assistance Survey for survivors of the 2018 wildfire disasters is now open. Homes damaged or destroyed by the Camp Fire may be eligible for up to $200,000; and low- to moderate-income households will receive priority. If you are a disaster survivor and wish to see if you qualify for the ReCoverCA OwnerOccupied Housing Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Program (OOR Program), start by taking the 2018 Disaster Housing Assistance survey available at https://recover.hcd.ca.gov/. If you need assistance with the survey, contact Butte County OOR Case Managers Brittney Murray or Glen Johnson at (916) 202-1764.
Up to $150,000 in low-interest, deferred Loans for homeowners (can be used even if insurance funds and/or FEMA funds have been spent) The Town of Paradise offers deferred, low-interest loans to low and moderate-income households rebuilding after the Camp Fire. For more information on eligibility and how to apply, click here or call the Town’s Housing Department at (530) 872-6291 x122.
- Assembly Bill 1249 Update The Paradise Ridge Chamber of Commerce announced its support of AB-1249. The bill that assemblyman James Gallagher introduced would clarify California’s tax code to exclude all types of claimants from paying state taxes on compensation for damages received out of PG&E’s “Fire Victims Trust.” This would help ensure fire victims receive just compensation for the economic and non-economic damages caused by the fires.
- Home Builders Resource Connection Online Plan Room The Rebuild Paradise Foundation (RPF) and Valley Contractors Exchange (VCE) have partnered to launch Home Builders Resource Connection Online Plan Room. It is a free tool intended to connect the dots between those looking to rebuild after the devastating fires Butte County has experienced in 2018 and 2020 and contractors that can perform this work. To learn more about the Online Plan Room, click here or contact VCE at (530) 343-1981.
- Town Hall and the Building Resiliency Center Open by appointment: Due to the change to the purple Tier in Butte County, Town Hall and the BRC are open by appointment only. Please call (530) 872-6291 for existing appointments or to schedule a new appointment. Below are the extensions for assistance: Business and Housing x126 or x130 Code Enforcement x110 Finance Department x121 Tree Advocates x162 or x163 Building Resiliency Center x411 General Information x101
- Have questions regarding your rebuild? Rebuild advocates are here to help: If you need help navigating the rebuild process, the Town of Paradise has Rebuild Advocates available to assist. They can help with the following: Navigating insurance, FEMA or SBA, understanding additional financing options, selecting a contractor, submitting plants, or any part of the rebuild process. They are available at the Building Resiliency Center by appointment only. Please call 530.872.6291 x429 x430 to make an in-person (depending on COVID status) or phone appointment today.
- Shop local online Paradise Ridge Marketplace available: The Paradise Ridge Chamber of Commerce has provided the Paradise Ridge Marketplace to keep your shopping local. Purchase some of your favorite Ridge items, such as Ridge Rising apparel and other fun member products. New items are added frequently. Learn more here.
Follow Action News Now on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news, weather and sports in Northern California.