Injury Prevention: How to Find the Right Shoes for Your Feet
If you are extremely particular about the latest trends in shoes, there is something else that you need to be vigilant about as well – the right size.
The right size of your shoes is important for a lot of reasons. Firstly, this can ensure that you remain comfortable throughout. Secondly, they also prevent any kind of foot-related injuries that you might have to suffer from by losing control of your movement and tripping.
Keeping these factors in mind, we have created a list of the best ways in which you will be able to find the right shoes for yourself. So, without wasting any time, let’s begin!
Understanding the right kind of shoe for you
There are, thankfully, several different types of shoes that you can take your pick from. Depending on the sport you play, you can choose basketball shoes or golf shoes. Soccer cleats for soccer players whereas, tennis shoes for tennis players.
In a similar manner, you can buy the best pair of shoes according to your feet. This can actually be a huge advantage when it comes to taking care of your feet in a customized manner. For example, while there running shoes for runners, if you have flat feet, you can buy running shoes for flat feet. In short, the options are never-ending, and you can take your pick from them all!
The right pair of shoes should cushion your feet. Having said this, it is most important for your midsole to have adequate padding to reduce the impact of any sudden injury. The most common one being stepping on stones or rocks.
The next thing that you should look for are shoes that give you complete support. This means that the alignment of your foot when it touches the ground should always be in sync. At the same time, the comfort factor is also incredibly important – you should always keep an eye out for how the shoe feels right after you put it on for the very first time.
The fit, of course, is another thing that is important. After you try a pair of shoes on, make sure that there is 1 to 1.5 cm at the end of the shoe to give you space to move. The width should be wide enough to accommodate your feet fully. The aim here should be to get a snug fit but not something that is overly tight.
Tips for choosing the right pair of shoes
Choosing the right pair of shoes may not be that big of a deal if you have the necessary weapons in your arsenal. Now, as there are no weapons so to speak, you have to remember some important pointers instead.
Check out our list of these points as below:
- To make sure that the shoes you purchase are comfortable even when your feet size are at their largest. While this may sound weird, it is during the evening when your foot is at its largest. So, you should shift your shopping towards the end of the day.
- Carry the kind of socks you always wear whenever you are working out or running. This can actually help you determine the fit better.
- After trying our shoes on, walk a few steps to understand how they feel against your skin. Remember, they should be snug but not tight.
- Carefully inspect the soles to understand whether they are high-quality or not. They should always be sturdy enough to protect you from any harmful objects and have excellent traction to give you grip and prevent any undesirable slips.
The best way to understand this is to walk on hard surfaces as well as carpet surfaces.
- Try wiggling your toes when you have your shoes on. There should be enough room for your feet to move whenever you’re walking or running. For this purpose, make sure that there is about an inch of distance between the toebox and the largest toe.
- Check the inside of your soles. Yes, this is actually an important point that you should keep in mind. The intention here is to check for any seams, tags or any even material that might be potentially irritating to your skin.
- The next thing that you should do is think about the length and the width of the shoes in hand. If you feel that the balls of your feet are being squashed, ask for shoes that are wider. The reason we are emphasizing the width and not the length is because most of the time, opting for the latter might not give you the correct fit.
- You should not feel like you’re slipping whenever you are moving too. The heels of the shoes should give you an excellent grip always.
- If all else fails, don’t think twice before asking the shop assistants to help you out. Ask him or her to measure your feet before you start looking for options. You never know, your feet might become wider and larger with age and hence, you would need to make the necessary adjustments.
- They might be times where one foot is larger than the other. In such cases, ask the shop assistant for any available options. There are many stores that take this into account and have suitable deals on offer.
Why choosing the right fit is important
When you buy the wrong footwear, you are basically putting yourself at a higher risk of suffering from injuries such as Achilles tendon pain and shin slips. The other more common issues include corns, severe feet pain, ingrown nails, and bunions.
If you are successful in finding yourself the right pair, you won’t have to face these issues. Try to not overlook the importance of buying a pair of shoes that fit correctly and are comfy. In the long run, your feet will thank you. Here’s wishing you all the best the next time you go shoe shopping!
Resources –Better Health, Experience Life